D. Gary Young: Founder, Pioneer, and World’s Foremost Expert
Twenty-three years ago, Don Gary Young began a most remarkable journey that has taken him around the world countless times in search of lost and forgotten knowledge, changing his life forever. The discoveries of this journey have helped millions of people in their quest for natural ways of healing and improving their lives and have led to the creation and development of the world’s largest and foremost authority on essential oils sciences—Young Living Essential Oils.
Through personal experimentation and Gas Chromatograph (GC) and Mass Spectrometer (MS) analyses Gary began to understand that most essential oils sold on the market are cut with synthetic compounds. Some oils are second or third distillations, which are the byproducts of the food and/or flavoring industry that no longer contain nature’s living energy and healing power. Gary established the term therapeutic-grade eighteen years ago, which naturally carried over into Young Living and is our absolute guarantee that we will only offer 100% pure oils produced from carefully identified plants, whose natural chemical profile matches or exceeds recognized world standards as well as our own more comprehensive internal standard.
It was Gary’s passion and vision that first brought therapeutic-grade essential oils to America and his experience, dedication, and hard work are the foundation of Young Living’s position as the world leader.
We are proud of the increased global demand and dynamic marketplace we have created for therapeutic-grade essential oils. Such demand inevitably attracts other sellers of essential oils, but they quickly come and go, unwilling to invest the decades of dedication, unrelenting effort and work, and immense resources it takes to understand even a small fraction of what we do.
The bottom line is this: when it comes to essential oils, Young Living reigns supreme. We want to take this opportunity to tell the world why our future has never been brighter.
Young Living Lavender Farms
From the original quarter acre in Gary’s backyard in 1989 to today’s rapidly expanding 4,500 acres on three continents, our farms have provided some of our most valuable knowledge and trade secrets that contribute to our unsurpassed quality.
- Early Beginnings
- First-Hand Knowledge
- Sustainable Supply
Gary Young was raised ranching and farming, and his love for growing and developing crops has never ceased. He knows instinctively that the finest oil begins with rich soil, where carefully identified seeds are planted and nurtured until harvested and distilled at peak potency.
A wise man once said, “It’s easier to go somewhere you haven’t gone than teach something you haven’t done.” For more than twenty years, Gary has worked to develop our world-leading expertise in essential oils. His knowledge was developed first-hand on the farms of world-renowned distillators, which then led to the establishment of our own farms. It is on these farms where Young Living continues to experiment and research the growth, harvesting, and distillation of essential oils.
We welcome distributors and visitors alike to visit the Young Living Lavender Farm in Mona, Utah, and see our entire operation, including Gary’s original proprietary design for low-temperature and low-pressure spiral vortex steam distillation. This exacting method maximizes the extraction of the delicate compounds that often have the most therapeutic effect.. Our facility in Mona, Utah, is the largest privately owned distillery operation for aromatic plants in the world. Our distillery in Ecuador houses the largest single 14,500-liter cooker in North, Central, and South America.
Carefully sharing what we’ve learned with our trusted co-operative growers ensures supply and promotes a free-flow of knowledge and continuous improvement.
As more and more distillators sell their oils to the perfume and food flavoring industry, Young Living Lavender Farms are working to ensure the continued supply of well-known therapeutic-grade oils such as lavender, peppermint, clary sage, and melissa,as well as rare oils like helichrysum, goldenrod, and cistus. With our new farm in Ecuador, we have added new and exclusive oils like Palo Santo, dorado azul, blue eucalyptus, cedaron and ruta. The year-round growing climate of this farm gives us the opportunity to produce many more oils that are in short supply throughout the world. Because of the vast diversity of the ecosystems in Ecuador, we will continue to acquire other farms in different regions, allowing us to grow and produce oils of different climates. The next farm will be in the tops of the Andes mountains where plants such as lavender grow well.
Eighteen years ago Gary Young created the term therapeutic-grade. There was not then, and there is not now, an organization other than Young Living Essential Oils qualified to certify an essential oil as therapeutic-grade.
- Diligence and Experience
No one has more experience than Gary Young growing, harvesting, and distilling essential oils, and certainly no one has more experience using essential oils from household cleaning to everyday health and wellness as well as vast medical applications in a clinical setting. He has led chemists, scientists, botanists, agronomists, and essential oil experts with the single purpose of ensuring that the Young Living standard represents the oils’ optimal natural constituent profile.
Anyone can claim their oils are pure and potent, but until they have spent years and years studying the vast library of essential oil science and know how to properly calibrate and operate Gas Chromatograph and Mass Spectrometers specifically for essential oil analysis and how to interpret that analysis, they would likely not even know the difference between a natural or synthetic compound.
We continually combine our expanding world knowledge with years of experience analyzing thousands of oil batches and the accompanying GC and MS analyses. To further ensure quality, we constantly check our results against trusted third-party laboratories. Especially helpful for us are long-time relationships with prestigious organizations like AFNOR and ISO and the benchmarks they have established. However, we cannot solely rely on them for our internal standard. The fact that we have distilled, analyzed, and conducted research on such a large variety of plants from around the world places our knowledge and standard at an even higher level.
We consider the trust our customers place in us an honor and want to educate and protect them from the disappointment of lesser quality oils. Every Young Living essential oil is of the highest quality and therapeutic-grade. We do not sell essential oils that fall short of our standard. Most recently, we rejected half a million dollars of rare helichrysum when it failed to meet optimal potency. Sadly, the oils we reject will often find their way into the marketplace through lesser brands.
Research, Development, and Innovation
Gary continues to expand the vision to include many dedicated product development and scientific professionals and an unmatched global network of essential oil expertise. Young Living invests immense resources and much of its profits back into research and development.
- 1990 Gary lived in southern France where he studied the art of distillation with Henry Viaud, the world’s foremost distillator of essential oils. He also studied with Marcel Espieu who was a fourth-generation lavender distillator and the president of the Lavender Growers Association of France for twenty-two years.
- 1985 to present Gary established his own laboratory and studied at the world’s foremost essential oil universities and other areas of historical oil significance, including two universities in Turkey, two in France, one in Switzerland, Cairo University in Egypt, and Warick University in England; he also has personally explored the rich oil history in Israel, Jordan, and Oman.
- 1994 Aromatherapy: the Essential Beginning
- 1999 Essential Oils Desk Reference was published based largely on Gary Young’s clinical research. The book is now in its fourth edition.
- 1999 Longevity Secrets
- 1999 The Truth Behind Growth Hormone
- 2000 Pregnenolone
- 2000 A New Route to Robust Health
- 2003 Essential Oils Integrative Medical Guide
- 2004 Re-JUVA-nate Your Health
- 2005 Discovery of the Ultimate Superfood co-authored with Marc Schreuder
- Published Papers
- Journal of Essential Oil Research 1998; 10: 517-523 “Effect of a Diffused Essential Oil Blend on Bacterial Bioaerosols.”
- Journal of Essential Oil Research 2000; 12: 639-649 “Screening for Inhibitory Activity of Essential Oils on Selected Bacteria, Fungi and Viruses.”
- Journal of Essential Oil Research 2001; 13: 387-392 “Antimicrobial Effects of Essential Oils on Streptococcus pneumoniae.”
- Journal of Essential Oil Research 2003; 15: 425-427 “Composition of the Oils of Three Chrysothamnus nauseousus Varieties.”
- International Conference on Essential Oils and Aroma Materias, Guangxi Guilin China 2004; 178-190 “Comparative Study of the Essential Oils of Three Betula Species B. alleghaniensis, B. lenta and B. pendula.”
- The Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association 2004; 7(1): 32-38 “Pre-Clinical Study: Antioxidant Levels and Immunomodulatory Effects of Wolfberry Juice and other Juice Mixtures in Mice.”
- Journal of the Utah academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters 2005; 82: 50-59 “Inhibition of LPS Induced Nitric Oxide Production in Murine RAW Macrophage-like Cells by essential Oils of Plants.”
- Journal of Essential Oil Research 2007; 19: 525-526 “Essential Oil of Bursera graveolens (Kunth) Triana et Planch from Ecuador.”
- International Food Chemistry Conference SICC-5, Singapore 2007 (poster present) I“nhibitory Activity of Essential Oils Toward Cellular Proliferation in a Lung Carcinoma Cell Line.”
- Flavour and Fragrance Journal (under the press) 2008; “Inhibition of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) by Essential Oils”
- Applied Science
- In 1990, Gary Young developed and introduced the Raindrop Technique® using a combination of essential oils that work together for improving spinal health.
- Through research at the British Museum Library in London, Gary discovered a legend from which he developed Thieves® essential oil blend. This blend has been tested at Weber State University to kill airborne pathogens, and this research became the basis for an entire line of hygiene, household, and wellness products.
- In 2006 Thieves blend was proven to be totally effective against dangerous black mold through scientific research.
- Blazing Trails
- Gary’s explorations in Ecuador and Peru, partnerships with indigenous tribes, and operations are forming a pipeline of newly discovered and unique oils.
- Palo Santo, ruta, dorado azul, zaragosa, lippia, limoncillo, chivo, paleo, blue eucalyptus, eucalyptus, white eucalyptus (growing at 10,000 feet), false Canella, and twenty-nine other plants which have no botanical identification at this time are just the first of our revolutionary South American oil offerings that will become available only through Young Living.
- Young Living has introduced over eighty different single oils to the marketplace and over seventy-five blends. We currently offer the largest essential oil collection in the world.
- Young Living is the first company to offer nutritional supplements enhanced with essential oils. Gary first began experimenting with oil infusion into supplementation in 1985 in his clinic apothecary. From that came the first oil enhanced supplements of VitaGreen (now MultiGreens™) and Comfortone®. The immense success with these products has brought about the formulation of hundreds of other revolutionary supplements and functional foods and beverages like NingXia Red®, Omega Blue™, MegaCal™, and many more.
- With products such as Longevity™, Inner Defense™, Digest + Cleanse™, and Para-Free™, Young Living offers the broadest line of nutritional supplements using the purest essential oils available on the market.
- Young Living offers a complete line of personal care products enhanced with therapeutic-grade essential oils. Available are shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers, massage oils, and since 2003, our advanced line of cellular regenerating skin care, A·R·T (Age Refining Technology), has surpassed everything in the natural skincare industry.
- Gary’s explorations in Ecuador and Peru, partnerships with indigenous tribes, and operations are forming a pipeline of newly discovered and unique oils.
Our commitment to unmatched sourcing began in the early days when Gary Young traveled the world and personally inspected the crops, harvesting, and distilling operations of the suppliers of oils he did not grow himself. He would personally smell, touch, and sometimes taste the oils before purchasing. He formed partnerships with trusted suppliers with whom we continue to work today. While Gary can no longer personally test every batch, he has established rigorous requirements and protocols and has personally mentored and trained many of the scientists and professionals who watch over every step of our oil production.
Gary and Mary Young remain intensely passionate and totally immersed in the mission of the company, ensuring and expanding the future supply of therapeutic-grade essential oils. In 2004, at great personal sacrifice, Gary and Mary moved their family to Ecuador to found Young Living’s newest and largest farm. They have made rapid progress and have every intention of supplying a large percentage of key oils through operations there. The first distillation of Palo Santo began in 2005 in a small 150-liter chamber. On April 12, 2008, the first distillation of ruta successfully christened the new 14,500-liter chamber. With this new farm, Young Living will begin to produce many different oils in large quantities.
A naturally gifted and enthusiastic teacher, Gary realized early on that a large part of his stewardship was to share his discoveries and knowledge with the world. He was the first to take the science of essential oils along with their usage and application and put it into an educational format that could be taught, understood, and easily applied by virtually anyone. A large part of why Young Living Essential Oils exists is the vision of taking therapeutic-grade essential oils to every home. We are accomplishing this by empowering and inspiring a volunteer army of caring, committed, and bold distributors. More than 250,000 strong, they are largely responsible for the current re-emergence of therapeutic-grade essential oils in the marketplace. However, we are not simply in the business of selling oils. We are in the business of teaching and mentoring people to a better, healthier, and more abundant lifestyle.
Gary and Mary Young firmly believe that a vital key to Young Living’s continued success is our willingness to give back. They believe the more we give, the more we grow, which constantly inspires us to share the gifts and abundance we receive by serving and helping others.
- In 2004, Gary and several Young Living employees traveled to Copper Canyon in Durango, Mexico, to build two schools and put in a water system for a remote Tarahumara Indian village.
- Young Living founded the D. Gary Young Foundation: Young Living Outreach, which supports philanthropic causes worldwide. Here are just a few:
- Cinterandes Foundation: Gary donates time and resources to travel with a volunteer team of six or seven medical doctors and staff into the jungle with the mobile surgical truck bringing health care to those who can’t afford it and where help is not available. Young Living funded a complete medical project for six villages in the Andes to establish six rural clinics.
- Chongon School Project: Because of the deplorable condition of the small community school near the Young Living farm, we bought a small parcel of land on which we could build a new school funded by donations from Young Living distributors. It is expected to be finished in May this year.
- Young Living Essential Oils donates precious oils to bring relief to various groups in need, including fire fighters who worked in the 9/11 disaster, and Rising Star Outreach, a mobile leprosy clinic in India.
- You Can “Thrive” Foundation: A free clinic for breast cancer patients who cannot afford treatment. The medical staff donates their time and Young Living donates oils and nutritional products for the patients.
- Urban Zen Foundation: Young Living donates oils and expertise as together we seek to integrate holistic health care into mainstream medicine with this not-for-profit philanthropic organization founded by fashion designer Donna Karan.
Honoring the Past, Embracing the Future
It is not easy for a company to grow, expand, and reach out as Young Living has and not lose the heart, soul, and personality that gave it life—but Young Living is achieving this. With estimated worldwide revenues exceeding $120 million in 2008, Young Living is a financially stable company with ever increasing momentum. We now have offices in Kimbolton, England; Brisbane, Australia; Tokyo, Japan, and Guayaquil, Ecuador; and ship to over thirty-eight countries worldwide. Young Living offers a bright future to our current and prospective Independent Distributors and our team of more than 330 corporate employees. Young Living has the resources, expertise, and leadership needed to move forward. We are excited about the large number of employees and distributors who are joining us. We believe there has never been a better time to find long-term wellness, fulfillment, and opportunity at Young Living. We have a deep and a sincere respect for our simple beginning from where we have come, a strong appreciation and sense of stewardship for what we have, and a vision of what we will surely become.
How To Get Started With Essential Oils and Order Essential Oils Click Here
(Please read all the information on the proper use of essential oils and read all the normal disclaimers associated with information not evaluated by the FDA. All of this detail is part of your experience in The World of Essential Oils